A trip through Konkan Railway-1 August 10, 2007Posted by Arun Rajagopal in India, Indian Railways, Travel.
A rail journey through the scenic Konkan Railway is the Indian rail-fan’s ultimate dream. The first time I travelled through Konkan Railway was on 14 December 2006 – from Lokmanya Tilak Terminus (LTT) to Kerala on the 6345 Netravati Express. It was one of my most scenic rail trips ever. I clicked a few snaps then on the LTT-Panvel-Roha-Chiplun stretch, promising to do a full-fledged rail-photography session in the future.
A few days later, I travelled again from Kerala to Madgaon on the 168 Trivandrum-Dadar Holiday Special. I clicked a few snaps again, mostly on the Honnavar-Asnoti-Madgaon stretch. From Madgaon, I travelled to Mangalore on the 2619 Matsyagandha Express, mostly clicking snaps of Mangalore when the train got there in the early morning.
This year, I travelled from Ernakulam to Dadar on the Ernakulam-Dadar Holiday special that left Ernakulam after midnight (8 June 2007). This gave me a chance to photograph the stretch from Kannur-Kasaragod-Kankanadi-Udupi-Bhatkal-Kumta-Cancona-Madgaon during daytime. Click here to view a Google Map of my trip.
The journey was exciting and featured the following:
- Nature shots around North Kerala – spectacular curves with moody, cloudy atmosphere & rocking diesel action.
- My holiday special train turned out to be special as it stopped almost at every station on the route – that meant more photo-ops.
- An encounter with a RORO train between Bhatkal and Kumta. Click here for the video.
- An encounter with a vehicle transport NMG train at Bhatkal.
- Photo-ops with WDMs at Kankanadi.
- Amazing greenery & plethora of water bodies along the Konkan route – did a ‘tree portrait’ shoot along the way.
- Meeting a friendly railwayman at Cancona. Watch out for the video!
- Lip smacking sandwiches from Madgaon.
- An encounter with an incredibly long freight train after Madgaon. Watch out for the video!
I have uploaded images of the Ernakulam-Dadar (UP) trip on Flickr. Click here to view them. There are 162 snaps in all. I will upload snaps from my return trip from Mumbai to Kerala (DOWN) trip soon.
Slide gives me an awesome way to give you a sneak preview of my images in this happening ‘8mm film treatment’. If you like what you see in here, you can head to Flickr. As always, your comments are welcome!
Here’s my pick of the best 5 snaps.
And this is my all time fav…
And here’s a sneak look at the entire lot.